Davis, Dr. Douglas
Personal Website: http://www.douglas-davis.com/
Tropospheric photochemical modeling, global ozone budgets; global atmospheric sources of nitrogen, sulfur, and the halogens; mechanistic studies of tropospheric sulfur halogens, Antarctic chemistry, gas-to-particle conversion processes, global biogeochemical cycles, environmental atmospheric chemistry.
• Research Fellow, National Academy of Sciences (1966-1969)
• 1974 State of Maryland outstanding Young Scientist Award.
• Certificate of Appreciation, National Research Council/National Academy of Science, 1984.
• Outstanding Ph.D. Dissertation Advisor, Sigma Xi Award 1987.
• Outstanding Ph.D. Dissertation Advisor Sigma Xi Award 1998.
• "Best Scientific Paper" at Georgia Tech, awarded by Sigma Xi, 1999.
• NASA Group Achievement Award for Outstanding Performance in PEMWest A and B Field Studies, 1999.
• Georgia Tech Sigma Xi Award for A Sustained Research, 2002.
• American Geophysical Union Fellow, 2003.
• Awarded Professor Emeritus status, 2004.
• D. L. Slusher, D. D. Davis, et al.,Atmospheric chemistry results from the ANTCI 2005 Antarctic plateau airborne study, doi:10.1029/2009JD012605, 2010.
• Oppenheimer, C., D. Davis et al., Plume chemistry and atmospheric impact of emissions from Erebus volcano, Antarctica, J. Geophys. Res., 115, D04303, doi:10.1029/2009JD011910, 2010.
• Douglas D. Davis et al., A reassessment of Antarctic plateau reactive nitrogen based on ANTCI 2003 airborne and ground based measurements, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2007.07.039, 2008.
• Yuhang Wang, Douglas Davis et al., Assessing the photochemical impact of snow NOx emissions over Antarctica during ANTCI 2003, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2007.07.062, 2008.
• D. Davis, G. Chen, M. Buhr, J. Crawford, D. Lenschow, B. Lefer, R. Shetter, F. Eisele, L. Mauldin, A. Hogan, South Pole NOx Chemistry: an assessment of factors controlling variability and absolute levels, Atmospheric Environment, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2004.04.039, 2004.
• Davis, D., et al., An assessment of western North Pacific ozone photochemistry based on springtime observations from NASA's PEM-West B (1994) and TRACE-P (2001) field studies, J. Geophys. Res., 108, 8829, doi:10.1029/2002JD003232, 2003.
• Davis, D., J.B. Nowak, G. Chen, M. Buhr, R. Arimoto, A. Hogan, F. Eisele, L. Mauldin, D. Tanner, R. Shetter, B. Lefer, P. McMurry, Unexpected high levels of NO observed at South Pole, Geophys. Res. Lett., 28, 3625-3628, 2001.
• Bradshaw, J., D. Davis, G. Grodzinsky, S. Smyth, R. Newell, and S. Liu, Observed Distributions of Nitrogen Oxides in the Remote Free Troposphere from NASA GTE Programs, Review of Geophysics, 38, p61-116, 2000.
• Clarke, A.D., D. D. Davis, V. Kapustin, F. Eisele, G. Chen, I. Paluch, D. Lenschow, A. R. Bandy, D. Thornton, K. Moore, L. Mauldin, M. Litchy, M. Carroll, J. Collins, and G. Abercook, Particle Nucleation in the Tropical Boundary Layer and its Coupling to Marine Sulfur Sources, Science, 282, 89, 1998.
• Crawford, J., D. Davis, G. Chen, J. Bradshaw, S. Sandholm, Y. Kondo, J. Merrill, S. Liu, E. Browell, G. Gregory, B. Anderson, G. Sachse, J. Collins, J. Barrick, D. Blake, R. Talbot, R. Pueschel, and A. Bachmeier, An assessment of ozone photochemistry in the extratropical western North Pacific: Impact of continental outflow during late winter/early spring, J. Geophys. Res., 102, 28,469-28,487, 1997.
• Davis. D., J. Crawford, S. Liu, S. McKeen, A. Bandy, D. Thornton, F. Rowland and D. Blake, Potential Impact of Iodine on Tropospheric Levels of Ozone and Other Critical Oxidants J. Geophys. Res., 101, p 2135, 1996.
• Chin, M. and D. Davis, A Reanalysis of Carbonyl Sulfide as a Source of Stratospheric Background Sulfur Aerosol, J. Geophys. Res., 100, p8993, 1995.
• Berresheim, H., P.H. Wine, and D.D. Davis, Chemical Composition and Climate of the Atmosphere, chapter on "Sulfur in the Atmosphere", H.B. Singh, Editor, Van Nostrand Reinhold Publishing Co., 251-307, 1995.